The rise in the cost of healthcare worldwide has pushed people towards natural remedies and alternative medicines. Two of the most popular options available to individuals are Kratom and cannabidiol. However, most people are unaware of the intricacies between them. As a result, there exists a lot of confusion and a lack of information regarding them. Unlike synthetic drugs and medicines, these natural remedies do not create adverse drug reactions or side effects. If you are curious to learn more about these potent miracle workers, you’re in the right place. Here’s a look at everything you need to know about the benefits, similarities, and differences between Kratom and CBD.
What is Kratom?
Kratom, also known scientifically as Mitragyna Speciosa, is an evergreen tree native to South-East Asia. The indigenous people living in Thailand, Indonesia, Borneo, Bali, and Malaysia have used Kratom as a potent natural remedy for centuries. In the last few years, research highlighting the medicinal properties of this plant helped make it more popular in the West. The natives who engaged in manual labor in these areas frequently used the leaves of these trees to stay alert, energetic and achieve relief from pain. The locals also incorporated these extracts into their daily routine by adding them to their beverages and food items. The plant contains over twenty different alkaloids, which produce opioid-like properties, including being potent analgesics. The two primary active ingredients found in bulk kratom powder include Mitragynine and 7-hydroxy mitragynine. Both these compounds influence our brain’s opioid or mu receptor to induce elevated moods and reduce fatigue or pain.
What is Cannabidiol?
Cannabidiol, also known as CBD, is one of over a hundred chemical compounds found in the Cannabis Sativa plant. Unlike tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabidiol does not produce any psychoactive effects, such as mind-alteration or intoxication. As a result, it is safer, healthier, and more sustainable for extended use. The cannabis plant features several phytocannabinoids, including CBG, CBN, CBC, THC, and cannabidiol. All these substances produce unique effects in humans by interacting with their endocannabinoid system. Tetrahydrocannabinol binds to CB1 receptors that regulate our cognition and memory. Cannabidiol has an affinity for the CB2 receptors that function through our peripheral nervous system. These are responsible for regulating our immune response. Therefore, they help reduce swelling, redness, and inflammation.
Benefits of Kratom
- Smaller doses lead to mental stimulation and mood elevation
- Improves overall mental clarity, focus, and concentration, leading to higher productivity and efficiency
- Higher doses produce a sedative effect that helps people suffering from sleep-related disorders, such as insomnia
- Potent analgesic that helps alleviate symptoms related to chronic and acute pain
- It helps relax your muscles and calm your nerves, leading to use for recreational purposes
Methods of Ingestion
The market offers various ingestion or consumption methods for Kratom users. Some of the most popular options include capsules, pills, and powders. While capsules and tablets contain predetermined concentrations of Kratom, the powdered form allows consumers more control over their intake. Individuals can incorporate Kratom into their daily schedules by adding it to their favorite food items and beverages. Here’s a quick outline regarding the various consumption methods open to consumers.
- The easiest and most traditional way to consume these products is to chew the leaves directly. However, it might not be feasible for you to access these leaves as most brands tend to dry and powder them before exporting them to the US. In case you do obtain Kratom leaves, make sure you wash them thoroughly before ingesting them.
- Another popular option involves soaking the leaves in boiling water and using the flavored water to make tea, coffee, or other morning beverages. However, ensure the water isn’t too hot as it can lead to Kratom getting diluted and losing its potency. If you don’t like the inherent taste of Kratom, consider adding them to flavored beverages. Products like hot chocolate or latte can mask the unique flavor profile of Kratom.
- Capsules and pills allow individuals to wash down their daily dose using water quickly. However, these take longer to impact our bodies as they need to undergo digestion before influencing our receptors.
Additionally, users also have to research the market to choose an appropriate strain and type according to their personal needs and requirements. While the red vein makes use of mature leaves, the green variant utilizes younger and supplier Kratom. The white-veined variety falls mid-way between red and green with regards to maturity and potency. Here’s a quick look at the various effects these products induce in our bodies.
- Red Vein – Tranquility, pain relief, relaxation, and improved sleep
- Green Vein – Mood elevation, relaxation, mild stimulation, and enhanced mental clarity
- White Vein – Energizer, stress-relief, gentle pain relief, and mood elevation
- Yellow Vein – Relaxation, anxiety relief, improved sleep, and better moods
Due to the wide availability of strains, beginners need to experiment with multiple options before deciding on the perfect one for themselves. Most individuals start with green variants before working their way up to more potent varieties according to their needs and requirements. Going through online reviews and customer testimonials can help individuals gauge a brand’s reputation and credibility. Most vendors offer samples that enable consumers to experiment and test different options.
Benefits of CBD
- Potent analgesic that helps individuals suffering from chronic and acute pain
- Regulates metabolic activities, leading to improved appetite
- Anti-tumor properties that prevent and inhibit the growth and spread of masses
- Anti-inflammatory properties that assist in maintaining youthful-looking, flawless and clear skin
- Regulates sebum production, preventing acne, psoriasis, and eczema
- Muscle relaxant that helps prevent spasms and aids in muscle recovery and growth
- It calms our nerves and relaxes our body to improve sleep quality
Methods of Ingestion
The cannabis market has grown exponentially in the last few years, thanks to research highlighting its medicinal and therapeutic benefits. It now offers products ranging from bath bombs and gummy bears to vape cartridges and tinctures. Individuals who are trying to reduce their dependence on nicotine or tobacco can switch to vaping cannabidiol. Doing so can help them kick a bad habit while enjoying the benefits that cannabis offers. Those with respiratory problems and asthma can consume Plain Jane CBD products like oils and tinctures. They can also incorporate these into their daily routine by adding them to their favorite food items and beverages. If you don’t like the bitter, nutty, and earthy taste of cannabis, you can opt for chocolates, candies, and gummies infused with CBD.
As you can see, cannabidiol and Kratom share several similarities in their effects and ingestion methods. However, cannabidiol influences our body through the endocannabinoid system. Additionally, consumers should consult a doctor before starting any Kratom or cannabidiol-based regimen to prevent adverse reactions and side effects. Physicians can also provide consumers dosing guidelines and recommendations based on their gender, age, usage history, and health. Are you considering switching to alternative medicines, such as Kratom or CBD? Share your experiences with these natural remedies in the comments below to inspire other believers in natural healing!
by Michele Lowe
Michele is a proficient content writer with a past experience of 10+ years in the CBD vertical, is known for her writings for the Cannabidiol industry. She has covered almost all the aspects of Cannabis, CBD, and related matters.
She holds a master’s degree in journalism from Boston University. She has always been passionate about writing and gradually moved towards CBD because of its emerging benefits and uses.